Photo courtesy of the National Archives 
Arthur Vernon Watson was 23 years old when he was incarcerated in San Quentin state prison in California.

Photo courtesy of the National Archives Arthur Vernon Watson was 23 years old when he was incarcerated in San Quentin state prison in California.

Justice wasn’t elementary, Watson, Part 1

The Frolichs’ establishment, then called the Watson Motel, had been owned by Arthur Vernon Watson and had become a crime scene

When Victor and Nellie Frolich announced in the spring of 1962 that they were having a contest to rename their recently purchased Soldotna motel, they were doing more than merely stamping their own identity on the place. They were masking a stain from its past — its very recent past.

Only a few months before the purchase, the Frolichs’ establishment, then called the Watson Motel, had been owned by Arthur Vernon Watson and had become a crime scene.

Watson and his wife, Beth, had traveled from Anchorage to Soldotna in late 1960 to explore business opportunities in the small but growing community at the junction of the Sterling Highway and the Kenai Spur Road.

In October, they purchased from Jack and Dolly Farnsworth a small parcel of land, on which they planned to construct and operate a new overnight accommodation. In the spring of 1961, they began work on their dream business; by the time winter had set in, it was complete.

Then, shortly afterward, Arthur Watson was arrested and charged with murder. He was tried, convicted and sentenced to prison.

The Frolichs hoped their contest would begin to erase their establishment’s connection to Watson from the Kenai Peninsula’s collective memory.

The Incident

Kenai Police Chief Charles (“Red”) Peavley received a phone call from Arthur Watson at about 8:40 on the night of Dec. 18, 1961. Watson said he had just killed someone in his home. Peavley notified State Trooper Wayne Morgan, and they rushed to the scene.

At Watson’s motel residence, they found Soldotna-area homesteader Marion Turner Grissom dead on the kitchen floor. A single rifle slug had passed through Grissom’s left breast and his heart, exited through his back and lodged in the wall of the Watson home at a point 39 inches above the floor.

As the officers investigated the scene, Grissom’s body was transported to the Central Peninsula Clinic. There, at 10 p.m., Dr. Elmer Gaede, a Soldotna physician, officially pronounced Grissom dead.

Watson, who said that his wife was at home but was asleep in their bedroom, readily admitted to the killing but claimed he had acted in self-defense.

After Morgan and Peavley had interrogated Watson for two hours, Beth Watson emerged from the bedroom. The officers noted that she had “suffered contusions of the neck, facial cuts and a blow on the head which caused swelling,” according to their report.

Beth Watson saw a dark red stain on the kitchen floor and asked what it was. Informed by the officers that it was blood, she asked, “From what?” After learning that Arthur had shot Grissom, she exclaimed, “Oh, no!” and then turned to her husband and said, “It’s your temper! Your temper has done it again!”

Despite this admonishment to her husband, Beth Watson then claimed to remember almost nothing about the events that had resulted in her head wounds and Grissom’s death.

Arthur Watson, on the other hand, was forthcoming with numerous specific details of the killing.

Grissom, a local laborer, had been an acquaintance of the Watsons and had worked for Arthur early in the construction of the Watsons’ motel. After a major disagreement during this time, Watson had fired Grissom and testified that he had not seen him for several months prior to unexpectedly meeting up with him in September 1961.

On that occasion, he invited Grissom over for dinner and drinks. He told the court later that the invitation was part of his attempt “to make a friend of him, not an enemy.” For the next three months, Grissom was a frequent visitor to the Watson home.

Grissom liked to drink, although he could be threatening if he drank too much, according to Arthur Watson. So their friendship, he said, had limits. If Grissom showed up to the Watsons’ place already intoxicated, Watson claimed that he would make excuses to get rid of him, even offering to drive him to a bar or take him to his own home.

Nevertheless, Arthur Watson said he had invited Grissom to his home for dinner and drinks on the day of the shooting.

That day, Beth Watson was writing Christmas cards, and both she and Arthur were pleased that she had just obtained a job she had wanted. They decided to celebrate their good fortune with a bottle of whiskey; however, Watson said he had had only a single dollar in his wallet.

It was at that point that Grissom showed up requesting a ride to Kenai. Watson complied. On the way back from their errand, Grissom contributed four dollars to the whiskey purchase. They picked up a bottle, and Watson invited him in for drinks. It was early afternoon.

At about 4:30 p.m., Watson testified that he told Grissom to make himself comfortable while he took his truck to a local garage to have it lubricated. After the vehicle had been serviced, Watson drove to a local bar and did some additional drinking, followed by a cup of coffee, before heading back to the motel.

When Watson returned home at about 8:30 p.m., he discovered his wife, her face bloody, lying on the kitchen floor. Grissom, clearly intoxicated, was standing nearby.

Watson said he exclaimed, “What the hell is going on here, Marion?” Grissom’s response, he said, was little more than a mumble. “I reached over to pick my wife off the floor,” he told the officers, “and when I did the roof fell in on me.” Grissom had struck him from behind.

The two men wrestled near Mrs. Watson, who was also intoxicated but had recovered enough to crawl or stagger into the bedroom and collapse on the bed. Arthur Watson, meanwhile, was able to grab a small knife from the kitchen drainboard and force Grissom out the door. When he then turned to go check on his wife again, Grissom came back inside.

“You could smell death walking back into the room,” Watson stated during his trial. “I’m the only person in the world between him and my wife.”

The knife he had used earlier was no longer at hand, so he reached into the bedroom where his .300-caliber Savage rifle was leaning against a wall. He levered a cartridge into the chamber, and, since Grissom showed no signs of stopping his advance, he fired.

Grissom staggered and fell and died.

Questioned later about why he would invite a potentially dangerous drunk into his home and then leave him alone with his wife, Watson said he had not been worried about his wife that day. Asked whether he and his wife were in the habit of regularly purchasing a bottle of whiskey, Watson replied, “Not every day.”

The Backstory

The early history of Arthur Vernon Watson’s life is murky. The clarity of his timeline suffers from frequent blank spots, and, judging from the records, he preferred to keep it that way. Even those who became close to him never learned the full story.

Watson was born in Clay County, Kentucky, on Dec. 5, 1908. A 1947 incarceration record stated that he had been “reared in a marginal rural home,” attended seven years of public school, mostly in Arkansas, and was on his own by age 19.

“He has led a migratory existence since that time,” the record continued. “He is divorced from his wife; there are no children. His work record is of little consequence.”

Watson would marry at least three times and change jobs with great frequency. As a young man, he apparently spent two years in the U.S. Army and worked as a cook for 11 years — some of which time may have occurred while he was behind bars.

Watson would also build a lengthy rap sheet that would include more than a dozen arrests for crimes ranging from vagrancy to first-degree murder. He would serve time in one state prison and four federal penitentiaries.

His move to Alaska was just one of his many bounces around the country.


After the killing in Soldotna on Dec. 18, 1961, the Kenai Peninsula Cheechako News displayed this headline.

After the killing in Soldotna on Dec. 18, 1961, the Kenai Peninsula Cheechako News displayed this headline.

More in Life

Homer students pose after their performance from the musical Shrek on Saturday after the three-day Broadway Bootcamp theater workshop with director Jim Anderson in October 2023, in Homer, Alaska. (Emilie Springer/ Homer News)
Intensive Broadway Bootcamp offered in Homer in August

During the five-day bootcamp, youth participants will work with top performing artist educators to develop leadership skills through theater arts.

Dillon Diering and Sarah Overholt dance while the Tyson James Band performs during the 45th Annual Moose Pass Summer Solstice Festival in Moose Pass, Alaska, on Saturday, June 15, 2024. (Jake Dye/Peninsula Clarion)
‘We’re about community’

Moose Pass throws 45th annual Summer Solstice Festival

This summer salad is sweet and refreshing, the perfect accompaniment to salty meat and chips. (Photo by Tressa Dale/Peninsula Clarion)
Fueling happy memories

Fresh salad accompanies an outdoors Father’s Day meal

Minister’s Message: The way life will be

“Is this the way it was all meant to be? Is this what God had in mind when He created us?”

Photo provided by Art We There Yet
José Luis Vílchez and Cora Rose with their retired school bus-turned-art and recording studio.
‘It’s all about people’

Traveling artists depict Kenai Peninsula across mediums

Promotional Photo courtesy Pixar Animation/Walt Disney Studios
In Disney and Pixar’s “Inside Out 2,” Joy (voice of Amy Poehler), Sadness (voice of Phyllis Smith), Anger (voice of Lewis Black), Fear (voice of Tony Hale) and Disgust (voice of Liza Lapira) aren’t sure how to feel when Anxiety (voice of Maya Hawke) shows up unexpectedly. Directed by Kelsey Mann and produced by Mark Nielsen, “Inside Out 2” releases only in theaters Summer 2024.
On the Screen: ‘Inside Out 2’ a bold evolution of Pixar’s emotional storytelling

Set only a year after the events of the first film, “Inside Out 2” returns viewers to the inner workings of pre-teen Riley

Calvin Fair, in his element, on Buck Mountain, above Chief Cove on Kodiak Island, in October 1986. His hunting partner and longtime friend Will Troyer captured this image while they were on one of the duo’s annual deer-hunting trips. (Photo courtesy of the Fair Family Collection)
The Road Not Taken: A tribute to my father’s career choice

For the first 40 years of my life, I saw my father professionally as a dentist. Period.

Edward Burke is ordained a transitional deacon by Archbishop Andrew E. Bellisario at Our Lady of the Angels Catholic Church in Kenai, Alaska, on Saturday, June 8, 2024. (Photo provided by Our Lady of the Angels Catholic Church)
Kenai’s Catholic Church hosts diaconate ordination

The event was attended by roughly 300 people, nearly a dozen priests and deacons and the archbishop of the Archdiocese of Anchorage-Juneau

Rhubarb custard cake is ready to be baked. (Photo by Tressa Dale/Peninsula Clarion)
Rhubarb and running to lift the spirits

Frozen rhubarb just won’t do for this tart and beautiful custard cake, so pick it fresh wherever you can find it

Most Read