What’s happening at the Kenai Senior Center for the month of August 2015 call for 283-8211 for additional information (All activities are held at the Kenai Senior Center unless otherwise stated):
• Thursday, August 6 – 3:00 pm @ Dinner with our friends at the Anchor Point Senior Center. $8
• Thursday, August 6 – 6:30 pm SingSpiration: Join us in singing those “Old Time Religion” hymns right out of the hymnal. Bring a finger food to share.
• Monday, August 10 – Noon – National S’mores Day – Try a s’more with a twist for dessert today.
• Friday, August 14 – 9:00a – Garage Sale’n with the Queen of Bargain Hunting. We’ll be back in time for lunch. $3 Transportation fee
• Thursday, August 13, 20 & 27 – 6:30 p.m. Bluegrass Jam Session open for musicians or listeners. Bring a finger food to share we’ll provide the coffee.
• Friday, August 14 – Noon – Creamsicle Day!
• Tuesday, Steve’s Mystery Drive – 12:30 p.m. – Where will we head this month??? $5 Transportation Fee
• Wednesday, August 19 – 11:30 am – National Aviation Day
• Wednesday, August 15 – 11:30 am – Birthday Lunch; if you are 60 or over and your birthday is in August, we’ll buy you lunch today.
• Wednesday, August 19 – 1:00 pm – “In the Market? Class”- Are you in the market for a new computer or smart device? Ask Al what he thinks in this class.
• Thursday, August 20 – NO REGULARLY SCHEDULED ACTIVITIES TODAY
• Thursday, August 20- 20th Annual Old Timers’ Luncheon – $6 – Sign up on the bulletin board.
• Saturday, August 22 – 9:00a – 3:00p – Kenai Peninsula Stat Fair – $10 transportation fee – Sign up at the front desk
• Friday, August 28 & 29 – 8a-5p – Gear Up Training; Training for Activity Professionals ($160 for both days) or anyone who would like to increase the quality of life for an elder or an adult with disabilities. Call Carol at the Center for additional information 907-283-8214
Body / Mind / Soul:
• Blood Pressure Checks – Monday & Wednesday 9-11a with Nurse Coleene
• Dog Therapy – Mondays @ from 10-11a with Pat, Hope & Joy
• Spanish: Mondays – Spanish is taking the summer off. We’ll begin again Monday, September 14th.
• Square Dancing Lessons: Thursdays – 4:00 pm facilitated by Theresa Lusby
• Guitar Class: Tuesdays – 9:30 am facilitated by Gerald Miller
• Writers Group – Wednesdays @ 1:00 pm – Solarium, facilitated by Virginia Walters
• Easy Nordic Walking (outside) – Monday/Wednesday @ 2:30 pm Meet in the Dining Room
• General Exercise: Monday / Wednesday / Friday @ 9:00 am
• Growing Strong Strength Training Class: Monday / Wednesday / Friday @ 10:00 am
• Line Dancing: Monday / Thursday @ 10:00 am – at the Kenai Recreation Center
• Tai-Chi: Tuesday / Thursday @ 10:00 am
• Zumba Gold: Tuesday / Thursday Zumba is taking the summer off. We’ll begin again Tuesday, September 8th.
• Walter Walking @ Nikiski Pool: Tuesdays & Thursdays ($3 van ride) 7:30a-9:30a (Nikiski Pool closed in September)
Arts / Crafts Opportunities:
• Beading – 1:00 pm Mondays
• Knitting – 1:00 pm Fridays (on summer bread)
• Quilting Group – 10:30 am Fridays
• Mondays & Fridays @ 12:30p – Pinochle
• Tuesdays @ 12:30pm – BINGO (for prizes not cash)
• Tuesdays @ 12:35pm – Bridge
• Wednesdays @ 1pm – Dominos
• Thursdays @ 12:30pm – Tripoly
• Wednesday, August 5 & 19 – 9:00 am-Noon Social Security virtual office
[The Kenai Senior is the venue to talk to the Anchorage Social Security Office. This is a first come first serve service. A signup sheet will be available when you arrive at the KSC. No appointments and no age limits]
• Council on Aging – Thursday, August 13 @ 4:30 pm
• Kenai Senior Connection Board Meeting – Friday, August 21 @ 9:30a m
Community Meals are served Monday – Friday from 11:30 – 1p for a $6 suggested donation for individuals 60 years or older (unless otherwise noted). Our mission at the Kenai Senior Center is to serve as a community focal point for senior services where adults 60+ come together to engage in opportunities for dignity and personal growth. Please call (907-283-4156) or stop by our facility (361 Senior Court, Kenai AK 99611) anytime during regular operating hours; 8am-4pm – Monday – Friday.
Mondays: Art class 10-3, line dancing 10:30-11:30, clogging 11:30-noon
Tuesdays: Board games 1pm
Wednesdays: Music at noon, craft shop 1pm
Thursdays: Art class 10-3, blood pressures 11-12, shopping at Safeway 1pm
Fridays: Music at noon
Aug 4: Tuesday-Fred Meyers shopping 1:00 PM
Aug 11: Tuesday-KPFCSP support group meeting 1:00 to 3:00 pm.
Aug15: Saturday-No-Host dinner Land’s End in Homer 1:00 pm
Aug 25: Tuesday-Annual Membership Meeting 12:30pm
Aug 25: Tuesday-KPFCSP support group meeting from 1:00-3:00 pm.
Aug 28: Friday-Closed for bus trip to State Fair in Palmer
Monday, Wednesday, Friday salad bar is served 11:30-12:30
Tuesday, Thursday soup is served 11:30-12:30
Entrée served Monday-Friday 12:00-12:30
Dessert & beverages served with all meals.
Aug 3rd egg rolls; 4th Swiss steak; 5th chicken enchiladas; 6th pork chop; 7th breaded cod; 10th cheeseburgers, 11th chicken casserole; 12th brunch for lunch; 13th liver & onions; 14th lemon chicken; 17th beef tacos; 18th spaghetti; 19th pork verde; 20th breaded pollock; 21st chicken pot pie; 24th Kalua pork on a bun; 25rd meatloaf; 26th veggie lasagna; 27th shrimp jambalaya; 28th Closed for bus trip to State Fair; 31st ham & scalloped potatoes.
• Pancake Breakfast — August 2
All you can eat 9am-11am
$10 Adults $5 children 12 and under
Pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and more
Annual quilt raffle
Hazel Robinson has once again made a lovely quilt for our annual quilt raffle. The quilt is titled “Falling Leaves”. It is queen size and comes with 2 pillow shams. Raffle tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5. They are available at the front desk and the Pull It Tab Store. The winner will be announced at the Annual BBQ August 16. A great BIG thank you goes to Hazel for her generous contribution to the Senior Center!
Gargage Sale Aug. 28 and 29. 10 am — 3 pm. Eldeberry Cafe and Bake Sale.Table rental is $25 for both days. Call 262-6808 to reserve a table. Senior table will accept items members would like to donate the week of the sale. Rent a table, stop by and do some shopping, join us for lunch and buy aswee treat.
Annual BBQ and Pie Auction. August 16 at 5pm. $20 adults/$10 childred. Reservations suggested. Call 262-6807