Photo courtesy Joe Kashi
The remains of the Clam Shell Lodge smolder behind the former establishment’s sign in this photo taken Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017 in Clam Gulch, Alaska. The building, which had not been open since 2011, burned down Friday night. Members of Central Emergency Services did not respond to calls from the Clarion by press time Saturday night. The lodge closed in 2011 shortly after its owner at the time, Guy Baker, died in a car accident, according to an August 2011 article published in the Redoubt Reporter. The last business license for the establishment, held by Sonamu, Inc., expired at the end of December 2015, according to the Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development, Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing. The building was still burning slightly on Saturday, Kashi said.