Central Emergency Services put out a house fire that caused thousands of dollars of damage early Sunday morning.
CES Chief Roy Browning said the department’s dispatchers got a call about the fire at 1:06 a.m. on Sunday and responded to a home on Riverwind Drive in Funny River. He said he believes the fire started in the chimney and made its way up into the attic area of the home.
Browning said the single person living in the house called about the fire.
“There was one occupant that lived there that basically self-evacuated,” Browning said. “There was one dog that was brought out that was revived.”
Engineer Josh Thompson rescued the dog, which was unconscious, and revived it by giving it oxygen, Browning said. In total, seven CES vehicles responded to the fire. Browning said the Kenai Fire Department responded to a medical call for CES while firefighters spent three to four hours putting out the blaze.
The fire caused about $65,000–$75,000 worth of damage, Browning said.
“There’s extensive overhaul that needs to be done,” he said.
Chimney fires are common in the area during winter months, Browning said, for two main reasons: Either people do not get their chimneys routinely cleaned or they burn the wrong type of wood. He stressed the importance of getting chimneys checked regularly to avoid problems.
Reach Megan Pacer at email@example.com.