Anchorage’s spice problem outlined in new report

  • Saturday, December 5, 2015 10:08pm
  • News

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A new state report on Anchorage’s spice problem confirms that spice-related emergency calls have spiked in the past year and that the synthetic drug may have led to at least four deaths.

The epidemiology bulletin released Wednesday looks at emergency room visits between related to the use of synthetic cannabinoids, also called spice.

The report includes data from electronic medical records from two of the three Anchorage hospitals between July 15 and Sept. 30.

October, the worst month for spice-related calls, is not included.

The report also does not take into account visits following a newly implemented law criminalizing the sale and possession of spice passed by the Anchorage Assembly in November.

Researchers found 167 records of patients who were self-identified or suspected spice users, making up 47 percent of all spice-related emergency room visits. The third hospital that didn’t participate in the report accounted for the remaining 53 percent.

The report also showed that synthetic cannabinoids were considered the main or contributing factor in four of ten death cases. The spice users identified in the report appeared to be mostly male, with a mean age of 37.

A spokesman for Providence Alaska Medical Center confirmed Wednesday that the hospital participated in the study. Alaska Regional Hospital and Alaska Native Medical Center could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

With a narrow time period and limited information from hospitals, the new report is not representative of spice’s full impact, said Louisa Castrodale, one of the report’s editors and a state epidemiologist.

“We believe this is an increase. But quantifying what kind of increase, because we don’t have this background, is hard,” she said.

More in News

COVID-19. (Image courtesy CDC)
Statewide COVID cases continue drop

On Monday, Alaska’s seven-day case rate per 100,000 people was 268.6.

Anne Zink, Alaska chief medical officer, participates in a briefing with Department of Health and Social Services officials to discuss the rise of the omicron variant of the corona virus, on Nov. 29, 2021. (screenshot)
Omicron ‘an animal of its own’

State health officials emphasize unknowns, prevention measures in wake of new coronavirus variant spread.

The Kenai Community Library health section is seen on Tuesday, Oct. 26, 2021. The Kenai City Council voted during its Oct. 20 meeting to postpone the legislation approving grant funds after members of the community raised concerns about what books would be purchased with the money, as well as the agency awarding the grant. The council will reconsider the legislation on Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021. (Camille Botello/Peninsula Clarion)
Kenai council to consider library grant again

The council earlier voted to postpone the legislation after concerns were raised about what books would be purchased.

Rep. Chris Kurka, R-Wasilla, leaves the chambers of the Alaska House of Representatives on Friday, March 19, 2021, after an hour of delays concerning the wording on his mask. On Monday, Kurka announced he was running for governor in 2022. (Peter Segall / Juneau Empire)
Wasilla rep announces gubernatorial bid

Kurka said he was motivated to run by a sense of betrayal from Dunleavy.

U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Elderberry carried the Together Tree, bound for the Alaska Governor’s Mansion, up from Wrangell where it was harvested after a brief delay due to some mechanical issues. (USCG photo / Petty Officer 2nd Class Lexie Preston)
Governor’s mansion tree arrives in Juneau

No weather or floating lines could stay these Coast Guardsmen about their task.

Forever Dance students practice for the “Forever Christmas” annual holiday variety show at Kenai Central High School on Tuesday, Nov. 23, 2021. (Camille Botello/Peninsula Clarion)
‘Remembering that we’re all in this together’

Forever Dance celebrates the holiday spirit with Christmas showcase.

Image via the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation
Nikiski soil treatment facility moves ahead

The facility, located at 52520 Kenai Spur Highway, has drawn ire from community residents.

COVID-19. (Image courtesy CDC)
COVID case rate continues decline; 7 new deaths reported

The state reported 632 new COVID-19 cases in Alaska.

People sit on a float by Kendall Auto Group during the “Christmas Comes to Kenai” parade on Friday, Nov. 26, 2021 in Kenai, Alaska. (Ashlyn O’Hara/Peninsula Clarion)
‘It’s our biggest so far’

The holiday spirit is back in a big way with ‘Christmas Comes to Kenai’

Most Read