Ebola patient’s condition worsens

  • By By JAMIE STENGLE
  • Saturday, October 4, 2014 9:49pm
  • News

DALLAS — After hospital officials on Saturday said the condition of the lone Ebola patient diagnosed in the U.S. has worsened, the woman he came to Texas to visit said she is praying for his recovery.

Louise Troh said that she was not aware until a reporter told her that Thomas Eric Duncan’s condition had been deemed critical and that she had not spoken with him Saturday.

“I pray in Jesus’ name that it will be all right,” Troh said in a telephone interview from the home where she and three others are being isolated.

Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas didn’t provide any further details or respond to questions about Duncan’s health on Saturday. The hospital has previously said Duncan, who was being kept in isolation, was in serious but stable condition.

Duncan traveled from disease-ravaged Liberia to Dallas last month before he began showing symptoms of the disease that has killed some 3,400 people in West Africa.

Health officials said Saturday that they are still monitoring about 50 people who may have had contact with Duncan for signs of the deadly disease. Among those are nine people who are believed to be at a higher risk. Thus far none have shown symptoms.

Included in the group being monitored are people who later rode in the ambulance that took Duncan to the hospital last Sunday, said Dr. Tom Frieden, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Duncan was staying with Troh at a Dallas apartment when he became ill. On Friday a hazardous-materials crew hauled out items from the apartment in industrial barrels for permanent disposal. That same day, Troh, originally from Liberia, and three others — her 13-year-old son, Duncan’s distant relative and a family friend — were moved to a private residence where they are being carefully monitored.

The city had trouble finding a place to take them until a volunteer offered the private residence.

The first Ebola diagnosis in the U.S. has raised concerns about whether the disease could spread in the U.S. Federal health officials say they are confident they can control it.

Frieden said that they’ve already gotten “well over” 100 inquiries on suspicious cases in recent months, with an uptick coming after the Dallas patient was diagnosed. Federal officials have said tests have been done on about 15 and all but one — Duncan — were false alarms.

Most of the cases don’t involve travel to West Africa, “but we’d rather have a wider net cast,” said Frieden. That way “we’re more likely to find someone promptly if they did actually have exposure and they do actually have symptoms,” he said.

The virus that causes Ebola is not airborne and can only be spread through direct contact with the bodily fluids — blood, sweat, vomit, feces, urine, saliva or semen — of an infected person who is showing symptoms.

Duncan arrived in Dallas on Sept. 20 and fell ill a few days later. After an initial visit to the emergency room at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, he was sent home. He returned to the hospital two days later, last Sunday, and has been kept in isolation ever since.

The hospital’s explanation about what they knew about his travel history has changed in the time since his diagnosis was revealed on Tuesday. Federal health officials have advised hospitals to take a travel history for patients with any Ebola-like symptoms.

When Duncan’s diagnosis was first disclosed, the hospital said it wasn’t till he came back Sunday that they discovered he had been in West Africa. The hospital later acknowledged that Duncan had told a nurse his travel history on his first visit but said the information hadn’t been fully communicated to the whole team.

On Thursday, the hospital elaborated by saying that a flaw in the electronic health records systems led to separate physician and nursing workflows and that the doctor hadn’t had access to Duncan’s travel history.

But the hospital issued a statement late Friday saying that the doctor who initially treated Duncan did have access to his travel history after all.

Hospital spokesman Wendell Watson said Saturday he could provide no further details, saying, “We’re still looking into the entire chain of events.”

More in News

Retired Biologist and former manager of the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge will “Looking Back, Looking Forward,” a talk about his solo trip on the Yukon River, on Tuesday evening at the Refuge headquarters in Soldotna. The Homer-based nonprofit organization Friends of Alaska National Wildlife Refuges is hosting a virtual watch party in Homer. Photo courtesy of Friends of Alaska National Wildlife Refuges
Looking back, looking forward

Robin West will give a talk about his 30-year career Tuesday evening at the Kenai refuge headquarters and virtually.

The Kenai Composite Squadron of the Alaska Wing, Civil Air Patrol is pictured on Jan. 26, 2026 with the first place state award from the CyberPatriot National Youth Cyber Defense Competition. Photo courtesy of Nickolas Torres
Kenai Peninsula students win cyber defense competition

A team of cadets won the highest score in the state after months of practice.

The cast of the Kenai Central High School Drama Department’s production of “The Addams Family” is pictured on Thursday, Feb. 5, 2026. The play will debut on Feb. 20 with additional showtimes into March. Photo courtesy of Travis Lawson/Kenai Central High School
‘The Addams Family’ comes to Kenai

The play will debut at Kenai Central High School next Friday.

The Kenai Peninsula Borough School District logo.
School board approves Aurora Borealis charter amendment

Aurora Borealis Charter School will begin accepting high school students in the next academic year.

Ryan Tunseth speaks during a meeting of the Kenai Peninsula Borough Assembly in Soldotna, Alaska, on Tuesday, May 6, 2025. (Jake Dye/Peninsula Clarion)
Assembly addresses formal presentations in code amendment

An ordinance passed Feb. 3 clarifies that formal presentations made before the Kenai Peninsula Borough Assembly should relate to borough matters.

Rep. Andi Story (D-Juneau), co-chair of the House Education Committee, speaks in favor of overriding Gov. Mike Dunleavy’s veto of an education funding bill during a joint session of the Alaska Legislature in 2025. (Juneau Empire file photo)
Juneau bill aims to stabilize education funding

House Bill 261 would change how schools rely on student counts.

The Alaska State Capitol building stands on Tuesday, Jan. 20, 2025. (Mari Kanagy/Juneau Empire)
Ruffridge, Elam introduce new legislative bills

The representatives filed bills relating to tax exemptions for EMS personnel and dental care.

Members of the Kachemak Bay Search and Rescue group receive instruction from helicopter pilot Steven Ritter (left) on Jan. 30, 2026, during a training weekend at Kachemak Emergency Services station in Homer, Alaska. Photo courtesy Kasey Aderhold
Search and rescue group members receive certification

The initial cohort of a Homer-based search and rescue group recently completed a hands-on, nationally-certified training session.

A recent photo of Anesha "Duffy" Murnane, missing since Oct. 17, 2019, in Homer, Alaska. (Photo provided, Homer Police Department)
Calderwood pleads guilty to murder of Homer woman

Kirby Calderwood pleaded guilty to the 2019 murder of Anesha “Duffy” Murnane on Feb. 5, four years after his arrest in 2022.

State of Alaska Department of Law logo. Photo courtesy of the State of Alaska Department of Law
Kenai man sentenced for sexual abuse charges

Ollie Garrett, 62, will serve 15 years in prison for sexual abuse of a minor.

teaser
Seward student to present salt brine alternative to Alaska Senate

Hannah Leatherman, winner of the 35th annual Caring for the Kenai competition, will travel to Juneau to present her idea to the Senate transportation committee.

Jan Krehel waves at cars passing by as she holds a "Stand With Minnesota" banner during the "ICE OUT" demonstration on Sunday, Feb. 1, 2026, at WKFL Park in Homer, Alaska. (Delcenia Cosman/Homer News)
Homer stands with Minneapolis

Nearly 300 people took part in an “ICE OUT” demonstration on Sunday.