DOT meeting on bypass scheduled for Tuesday

DOT meeting on bypass scheduled for Tuesday

There will be an open house Tuesday, for residents interested in learning more about Sterling Highway construction project slated to begin next year between Milepost 45 through 60 in Cooper Landing.

The project, which has moved from the environmental analysis phase into the engineering design phase, is expected to be a five year project that will reconstruct existing roadway, widen shoulders, bring roadway curves into compliance, add passing lanes and construct about 1o miles of new road way between Milepost 46 and 55.5, bypassing the town of Cooper Landing.

According to the state Department of Transportation project overview, the new roadway will reduce stormwater runoff and potential spill risk into the Kenai River.

New intersections will be designed to connect the old and new highways, the overview said, and construction will also include a new bridge spanning Juneau Creek Canyon – soon to be the longest single-span bridge in Alaska.

“The project will provide increased safety for recreational activities and river access, reduced noise levels on the river, and decreased visual impacts as seen from the river,” the project overview said. “In terms of wildlife protection, the design features four wildlife crossing structures, including the first wildlife overpass of a highway in Alaska.”

The Federal Highway Trust Funds are anticipated to cover 90% of constuction costs of the $375 million project, and the state will be picking up the remaining 10% costs.

The Department of Transportation’s project team will be in Coopr Landing to present an update to the public in their open house event, which is from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., on Tuesday, Oct. 29, at the Cooper Landing Community Hall in Cooper Landing.

For residents who can’t make the meeting, the Department of Transportation will stream the meeting live during their presentation.

For questions or additional information, please contact Katherine Wood, Public Involvement Lead, at 907-644-2153.

More in News

A stack of the Seward Journal is pictured. The town’s only daily newspaper published its last edition Nov. 27. (Photo via Seward Journal Facebook page)
‘A thing of the past’

Seward Journal calls it quits after struggle to keep newspaper afloat

Tim Navarre and Dana Cannava discuss a preliminary Soldotna route for the Kahtnu Area Transit with Planner Bryant Wright at the Challenger Learning Center of Alaska in Kenai, Alaska, on Wednesday, Nov. 29, 2023. (Jake Dye/Peninsula Clarion)
Getting people where they need to go

Plans for Kenaitze Indian Tribe’s Kahtnu Area Transit move forward

A state plow truck clears snow from the Kenai Spur Highway on Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2022, in Kenai, Alaska. (Jake Dye/Peninsula Clarion)
DOT identifies roads included in brine reduction plan

The department said its goal is to reduce brine use overall in the region by 40%

Soldotna High School senior Josiah Burton testifies in opposition to the proposed cut of Kenai Peninsula Borough School District theater technicians while audience members look on during a board of education meeting on Monday, March 6, 2023 in Soldotna, Alaska. (Ashlyn O’Hara/Peninsula Clarion)
School board finance group reviews expenditures ahead of upcoming budget cycle

As the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District prepares to grapple with another… Continue reading

Members of the Kenai/Soldotna Fish and Game Advisory Committee raise hands to vote in favor of a proposal during a meeting at Cook Inlet Aquaculture Association in Kenai, Alaska, on Monday, Nov. 20, 2023. (Jake Dye/Peninsula Clarion)
Silver salmon, personal use fishing discussed by advisory committee

The group set their recommendations on a variety of proposals to the State Board of Fisheries

Hoses pump water along Patrick Drive to help mitigate flooding near Kalifornsky Beach Road on Friday, July 21, 2023, near Kenai, Alaska. (Ashlyn O’Hara/Peninsula Clarion)
Borough spent almost $78k responding to flood events during disaster declaration

Most of the funds were spend in the northwest area of Kalifornsky Beach Road

The National Weather Service’s map shows a winter weather advisory, in orange, effective for much of the eastern Kenai Peninsula. (Screenshot)
Heavy snow, blowing winds forecast for Turnagain Pass on Wednesday

Snow accumulations of up to 16 inches are expected

The Kenai Courthouse is seen on Monday, July 3, 2023, in Kenai, Alaska. (Ashlyn O’Hara/Peninsula Clarion)
Grand jury adds charges in October killing of Homer woman

The indictment was delivered on Nov. 8

Alaska State Troopers logo.
Anchorage resident arrested in Nikiski after troopers investigate reports of stolen vehicle

Troopers responded to a residential address in Nikiski around 11:30 a.m. after being notified by Sirius XM that a stolen vehicle was there

Most Read