The holidays are a wonderful time of year, full of joyous celebrations and time with loved ones. However, many people find that holiday cheer comes with an uninvited guest. Extra pounds. Seasonal baking, feasting, and parties can be a stumbling block for even the most well-intentioned individual. Here are a few tips to help keep those sneaky extra pounds from landing on your back porch this holiday season.
1. Savor the Flavor: Eat slowly and enjoy your food more so that one helping is enough.
2. Color it Healthy: Fruits and veggies make a beautifully colorful and healthy presentation.
3. Enjoy a Treat: Indulge in a sweet here and there, but let it be just that–a treat, not habit.
4. Drink it Light: Swap a few of those eggnogs for sparkling water with fresh citrus twists.
5. Keep it Moving: Count on dancing, fun physical activities and games to liven up any party.
Submitted by Amorette Payment, UAF Cooperative Extension Service, Nutrition Educator, Kenai Peninsula District.