Déjà Vu or Déjà Food?
Let’s face it, leftover foods get a bad rap. What if those leftovers were reimagined and turned into something different; would they be more appealing? When last night’s roast chicken becomes tonight’s fajitas, it seems like a delicious new meal. Here are some tips for reinventing leftovers:
• Slice or chop a small quantity of meat to make it stretch further.
• Add veggies and grains that are different than what was served with the previous meal.
• Can the leftovers be turned into a soup, stew, stir-fry or casserole?
• Make a large salad and top it with leftover chicken, fish, or other protein.
• Use leftovers to stuff hot baked potatoes; top with grated cheese for an instant crowd-pleaser.
• Making a casserole? Double the recipe and freeze one to bake and serve later.
Visit us online at www. http://uaf.edu/ces/districts/kenai/, call us at 907-262-5824, or stop by our office at 43691 K-Beach Rd, Suite A, for a handout on using leftovers creatively.
Submitted by Amorette Payment, UAF Cooperative Extension Service, Nutrition Educator, Kenai Peninsula District.