We have been good this year (well, most of us) and think we are deserving of everything below. You’re a busy man — especially tonight! — so we’ll get straight to our list.
This year — pretty please — we would like:
• Oil prices to rise to $700 per barrel
• Peace on earth and on Facebook comments
• A wintry winter
• A clear, spring-like spring
• A sunny, summery summer
• A fall-like … um, never mind
• For king salmon stocks in Southeast to rebound to their former levels
• For our PFDs to triple (with the rising oil prices, two birds with one stone!)
• Alaska Airlines upgrades to first class (did you know they serve warm chocolate chip cookies?)
• Stranger Things Season 3 to be released Christmas morning
• A balanced state budget
• No more taxes
• A hula hoop
• A smashed patriarchy
• For people to stop calling major news networks with rigorous vetting for stories and corrections for any errors that occur “fake news”
• An informed, engaged citizenry who reads (and buys) newspapers (thanks, readers!)
• A lack of conflict between any of the above desires
In anticipation of Christmas morning, we are sending a year’s subscription to the elves, reindeer and Mrs. Claus so they can read all about the good things in store for Juneau in 2018. Here’s hoping it’s a great year for all of us.
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!
—The Juneau Empire, Dec. 24, 2017