Valerie Campbell, 58, was doing homework at her Aleutian Court home in Nikiski when her generator backfired Wednesday night and set the house on fire.
By the time Nikiski Fire Department responders arrived, at about 6 p.m., the house was fully engulfed in flames and Campbell was outside.
She lost everything.
“It’s done,” she said about her home. “There’s nothing that can be done.”
Her schoolwork for her online University of Alaska Anchorage courses, her furniture, her house wares, her laptop, all her clothes except what she was wearing, and two of her best friends — her dogs — were lost to the fire. She had to put her third dog, Shiloh, up for adoption.
While Nikiski Fire Department public information officer Bud Sexton said crews were able to extinguish the fire quickly, it was a total loss; all that remained Wednesday night was a skeletal, charred frame.
Campbell moved into the house earlier this year and said she was supposed to get hooked up with electricity and get the house insured in August.
Campbell has a friend to stay with, but she said has to find somewhere else to stay this week.
The American Red Cross provided some monetary assistance and a stranger took Campbell to Wal-Mart to buy some clothes. Others who wish to help Campbell can give a donation in her name at Alaska USA Federal Credit Union.
Kaylee Osowski can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.