Kenai firefighters responded to a fire alarm at Kenai Central High School Tuesday night after a heating pipe burst in a classroom.
A heating unit on an exterior wall burst, sending steam and water into an art classroom on the east wing of the school. Firefighters arrived on scene at about 7:30 p.m., shut off the unit and remained for about an hour to clean up, said Battalion Chief Tony Prior.
“There was not much damage,” Prior said. “The floor was vinyl and we were able to squeegee excess water into a floor drain.”
The pipe burst after it froze, he said.
Nobody was in the classroom when it flooded and Faculty and students in the building at the time waited outside until crews let them back in, said Jonathan Dillon, a music teacher who was preparing for an upcoming choir concert.
Reach Dan Balmer at email@example.com