The pandemic has really put a damper on dating. There’s no shame in lacking interest in a long-term relationship— sometimes a fun hookup or a purely sexual relationship is what many people are looking for.
This is where the best hookup sites and apps come in!
Technology has made it easier than ever to find a quick hookup or casual encounter with the wide variety of sex hookup sites and apps out there. In this guide, we put together a list of the 9 best free casual encounter sites and apps that are worth trying out.
9 of the Best Hookup Sites and Apps for a Casual Encounter
|Website||Features||Score||Is it Free?|
|Adult Friend Finder||
||96%||Free, with premium options|
||94%||Free for women, $49 per month for men.|
||91%||Free, with premium options.|
||83%||Free, with premium upgrades|
1. AdultFriendFinder – Best Overall Hookup Site
- Best hookup site and app for quick hookups, threesomes, poly couples, and everything in-between.
- 80 million users and counting worldwide, so finding a hookup is quite easy.
- Everyone is looking for the same thing— sex, not a relationship.
- Offers a wide range of extra features, such as contests, live webcam parties, and chat rooms.
- Catfishing & trolls can be occasional problems
- Quite a few ads on the website & app alike
Nothing compares to AdultFriendFinder.
There are no misunderstandings with this site and app— it is 100% dedicated to connecting users for the purpose of real-life hookups.
Whether you are looking for a quick hookup, a long-term sexual relationship, or a third party for a swinger’s night, this app will make it happen for you.
Making connections is a breeze, and the platform is free to use when browsing.
There are quite a few extras on the platform that go beyond simple profile viewing and chat functions. Users can enjoy live cams, videos, chat rooms, forums, and other bells and whistles.
In general, this is the one platform that will get you laid pronto.
2. AshleyMadison – Best Hookup Site for Discreet Encounters
- Works fast, so you find a hookup or interested party extremely quickly
- There are 70 million users on the platform, so you’ll have a ton of choices and a higher chance of finding the right match for your needs, location, kink, etc.
- One of the most discreet hookup websites out there, so finding an anonymous hookup safely is a breeze.
- Multiple privacy features such as face-blurring, masks, and emergency logout of all devices
- Encourages extramarital affairs, which might create a moral dilemma for some users
- Has a history of poor security practices, though they’ve recently improved their system
AshleyMadison has quite the reputation, but it has to be one of the best hookup sites out there. Users can be as anonymous as they’d like, which makes the platform perfect for people who want to have very discreet and secretive hookups.
Keep things on the down low!
In general, this platform is designed for individuals who are having affairs or are closeted. It’s not the most ethical platform, but it is efficient at what it does. Plus, AshleyMadison has really kicked their security up a notch in the wake of the famous 2015 breach.
Your information, and reputation, are definitely safe with AshleyMadison in 2021 and beyond.
3. Tinder – Best Hookup App for Users on the Go
- Over 57 million users globally
- Tinder interface is excellent, user-friendly, and one of the easiest to use among hookup apps and sites in 2021
- Great for casual dating and finding hookups alike
- Catfishing can be a major problem – no formal verification process
- Pretty shallow, as it is a swipe-based platform
Tinder definitely set the standard for dating and casual dating apps in the 2010s through the 2020s, and it’s still extremely popular.
The beauty of Tinder is that it can be used for finding serious relationships and sexy encounters alike, and it all depends on the filters you set and the claims you make in your bio.
Tinder is a great app to use if you are traveling a lot and want to find a hookup in a new city. Plus, the free version of the app is more than usable without the need to spend money on bells and whistles.
Still, they do try to get you to spend more money for add-ons, so that’s not ideal.
4. Reddit – Best Hookup Site for Online Hookups
- Many different R4R subreddits on the platform for a variety of needs, locations, kinks, etc.
- Reddit as a platform is quite reputable.
- You do not need to sign up to use most hookup subreddits
- Reddit isn’t necessarily a hookup app or website, but rather an online forum in which users can be completely anonymous if necessary.
- Issues with spam, trolls, catfishes, and bots.
- Not as many safety precautions in place as other hookup-specific apps and sites
Reddit is a massive online forum that uses subreddits, or sub-forums, to build communities. If you have a niche interest, there is almost definitely a subreddit for it— including sex and hookups.
A few popular hookup subreddits include DirtyR4R, Swingers R4R, the regular R4R, and the dozens of variations of hookup R4R subreddits out there. Chances are, you’ll find a forum that fits your unique needs in terms of hookups and casual encounters.
The entirety of the platform has over 52 million daily users, so the chances of connecting with someone on one of the sex-focused subreddits is decent. Reddit is also becoming one of the top places to consume NSFW material online these days.
That’s a plus!
You can be completely anonymous if you’d like, and you won’t have to deal with the typical swipe-focused nature of dating apps with this platform. Still, it can be hard to find redditors in your local area, so it might be better reserved for virtual encounters… if you catch my drift.
5. Bumble – Best Hookup App for Women
- Only female users are allowed to initiate contact with men first (may be a con for men!)
- Idividuals can only connect with established matches on both sides, reducing rejection
- Over 12 million users and counting
- Can also be used for finding friends and networking if that tickles your fancy
- Men might struggle to find connections
- After no contact for about 24 hours, the chat function will close and the conversation will end
Dating apps are pretty notoriously cruddy for women. From unsolicited genital pics to potential issues with stalking, hooking up with an app or website has historically been a struggle.
The creators of Bumble recognized this issue when they created their app. With Bumble, anyone can match with anyone— but only the women in match scenarios can initiate a chat.
The interface of Bumble is incredibly easy to use and comes with some pretty handy filters for location, interests, gender, sexuality, etc. We’d recommend using Bumble if you’re a patient man, because it is definitely worth it.
Just bear in mind that this app tends to be used more for dating, so make your intentions clear if you just want to hook up!
6. Fetlife – Best Hookup Site for Kinky Casual Encounters
- Over 5 million regular members
- Ton of different kinks and fetishes to choose from
- Easy to find people into the same kinks as you
- Sex-focused platform, with no potential misunderstandings
- Fetlife doesn’t have a formal “match” system, which can get messy.
- Premium subscription required to view video feeds
Fetlife could be seen as a sex social network rather than a dating site. In fact, dating really doesn’t have much of a place on the platform. It’s specifically designed to help kinksters find other kinksters for casual sex or regular sexual encounters.
The platform itself has over 5 million users and growing, so you’re quite likely to find the right connection easily. If you’re into BDSM, about half of the userbase is dedicated to that specific kink.
You won’t find as open of a kinky community on other hookup sites, so keep an eye on this one!
7. Craigslist Missed Connections – Best Website for Hooking Up with Missed Encounters
- This section of the website has become a sort of dating platform since the closing of Craigslist Classifieds
- Can be beneficial for those who live in small towns or older individuals who use Craigslist regularly
- Not too many people still use Craigslist for missed connections
If you were born before the turn of the millennium, you’re probably pretty familiar with Craigslist. This popular platform was once the go-to for finding garage sales, used cars, adoptable pets, and everything in-between— including hookups.
Craigslist used to have a pretty massive Classifieds section designed for virtually everyone, including LGBTQ+ individuals and those with special kinks.
Back in 2018, the entire section was pulled in response to a U.S. bill that would criminalize online platforms if evidence of prostitution was found in their archives. The only forum left for finding hookups is Missed Connections.
It’s not meant to be used for that, but you know…
In general, Missed Connections can be difficult to use. Not a ton of people still use Craigslist, so getting your post to the person you’d like to reconnect with or someone that may know them can be difficult. Still, those in small towns or rural areas may have a bit of luck.
8. Plenty of Fish – Best Hookup Site for Ongoing Sexual Relationships
- It’s free to use, and messaging capabilities are free and completely unlimited
- You can see who has viewed your profile
- There are a ton of users, so even those in rural areas can find a hookup
- The filter options are quite advanced
- Catfishing and trolls are a problem
- There are a ton of ads
- Plenty of Fish is by heart a dating platform, so it might be hard to find individuals who just want a fun hookup
At its core, Plenty of Fish is designed for dating and lasting relationships. Still, there are still plenty of users on the platform that use it for hookups and casual encounters.
With over 800,000 user logins per day in the United States, finding the right potential hookup is a lot more probable than you might think.
Plenty of Fish also has some great extras, such as chat forums and profile questionnaires that make matching a bit easier. However, it’s worth noting that there aren’t usually a ton of sex-focused players on the platform.
It may be worth trying out simply for the fact that it is 100% free to use and quite user-friendly. However, finding a hookup that is the perfect match may not be as probable as it would on platforms like AdultFriendFinder and Ashley Madison.
Still, it’s worth giving Plenty of Fish a shot!
Frequently Asked Questions on Hookup Sites
Are hookup and sex apps safe to use?
Adult dating sites can absolutely be safe to use, but it’s vital that users take precautions into their own hands before using such platforms.
When interacting with other users, keep your personal information to yourself. Do not give information about your full name, your employer, your home address, or any financial information.
Just as well, when you finally manage to arrange a date, be sure to meet up in a public space. Such spaces can include a coffee shop or a public park.
In the event that the person who shows up for your date is not the same person who you spoke with on a hookup platform, it will be easier to get out of the situation in public. It’s simply a lot safer to do this. Plus, meeting in a public space provides an opportunity to get to know your hookup and ensure that the both of you are a good fit for one another.
It’s also worth noting that some hookup apps utilize a rigorous verification process to ensure that each and every user is who they say they are for everyone’s safety. In general, hookup apps are relatively safe. Just use common sense when hooking up with a user.
Are hookup apps and sites easy to use?
Yes! Every hookup app and site that we’ve broken down in this guide is quite easy to use, including the platforms with older websites. We found that apps like Tinder and Bumble are particularly user-friendly and make it easy to set up your preferences and filters.
For sites like AdultFriendFinder, setting up an account is incredibly easy and does not take a lot of time. User-friendliness is a very important aspect of using hookup apps, which is why we selected the nine hookup apps and sites that we did.
You don’t need to be tech-savvy!
Should I pay for hookup apps and sites?
This depends on your personal preference.
Some hookups apps and sites offer premium add-onsand memberships that deliver bells and whistles that many individuals like, such as an increased amount of interactions and messages.
However, a majority of free hookup apps and sites get the job done without the need to spend money on the app. We recommend trying out a few different paid hookup apps and sites to see how beneficial the perks are.
In most cases, you can easily cancel your membership or subscription if it doesn’t seem worth it.
9 of the Best Hookup Sites and Apps for a Casual Encounter Conclusion
In the end, nothing compares to AdultFriendFinder.
This tried and true adult website has a pretty decent app, makes it easier than ever to find a great hookup, and boasts a massive userbase of people who are looking for the same thing.
There are no misunderstandings with AdultFriendFinder – everyone is looking for a hookup or ongoing sexual relationship. This clarity can be rare on dating apps and other hookup apps.
Plus, you get a ton of great perks with the AdultFriendFinder membership, such as live cams, erotic blogs, and more!
Outside of our top pick, we also found that Tinder and Reddit are close runner-ups. Tinder is extremely user-friendly and many individuals on the platform are looking for hookups only. Reddit boasts a wide variety of subreddits for hookups that vary from fetish to interest to location.
You really can’t beat these top hookup apps and sites! Whichever one you choose, we hope you have a fun time!
This is a sample text you can play with!
intant HTML beautifier offers you many code editing options:
he following Tidy options are available:
- Inline styles
- Classes, ID’s
- Empty tags
- Tags with one space
- Successive spaces
- Remove comments
- Tag attributes
- Make plain text
To adjust the Tidy options, click the button